Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Write on Wednesdays: Status Anxiety

Ha!


How ridiculous. She sipped her morning coffee as she recalled the events of the preceding night. You can't pull one over on me, you weasel, she thought. Good luck with your new life.

Pulling her pink cotton robe closer over her chest, she leaned forward to read the comics in the newspaper. Maybe fictional cartoons will make her feel better.

But she couldn't focus on the words and pictures in front of her. All that loomed in her mind was the darkness. The lack of light, the color of her shoes on the floor, his hair, and the sinking feeling in her heart as she pushed the door open, bottle of wine in hand for the two of them to share.





Write On Wednesdays



Today's prompt was to go back through the previous weeks of WoW  at inkpaperpen and choose one to try that we haven't done before, or one we wanted to try again. It was also my first week with the five minute time limit, as the ones I have done before had abandoned that rule, and I found it a little difficult for my first attempt. I chose one that occurred before I found WoW, from week 6: Log onto your Facebook/Twitter page and write down the first status update you see.  Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after your prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings.




Also submitted for lovelinks #27

16 comments:

  1. What a status update! I miss the stream of consciousness exercises to be honest. A good thing about having regular open weeks means we can re-visit them when we want to. Using FB as a writing prompt was a great idea from the lovely Sarah Mac.

    Intriguing piece and I think you did well. You got a lot out of 5 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gill! I really liked this one and I had fun with it. What a stream of stories could come from one simple two letter word as "Ha!" Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing... I want to know what happens next... or what happened before. :) Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To work with so little and get so much, takes some swift thinking and quality inspiration. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! You could have come up with almost ANYTHING from that prompt and this is very believable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! For some reason this was the first thing to pop into my head, so I went with it. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be the shortest prompt I've seen yet! It leaves the door wide open for lots of possibility, and I think you've done the same with your piece, leaving it open to many different ideas. Is she sharing the bottle of wine with the same person she is thinking about? Or someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a brilliant job with only 5minutes! This piece is so intriguing, I'm dying to know what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Janelle and Lene! Janelle, the bottle of wine was for her partner to share with her, but instead she walked in on an ugly scene...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a really good 5-minute exercise, and from a FB status update, no less. Thanks for linking up at lovelinks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would have froze up with a small prompt such as that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... only 5 minutes?! I would have only gotten like 3 sentences down... if I was lucky. Way to go!! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all the comments and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be staring at the timer the whole time! Great work in such a short amount of time!

    Visiting from lovelinks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time limit?! I'm panicking for you! That's a lot of pressure, but I think you've executed it nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha!

    That's impressive for 5 minutes! It would take me the entire 5 minutes to formulate an idea and vomit up a handful of words. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog