Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rainbow After the Rain

Every year on my birthday, for as long as I can remember, it has rained. Without fail. I never had to check the weather report, because I knew exactly what Mother Nature had in mind every May 2nd. It was like I was psychic for a day each year.

Despite my annual soothsayer abilities, my mother refused to believe me. Yet, like yearly clockwork, there the rain would appear. She apparently has the memory of a goldfish, and now that she's hit age 50, that's her excuse for finally admitting it. My brother couldn't care less. My friends gave me a sympathetic, "Really?" with raised eyebrows.

Sure, rain. Big deal, right? Probably not for some, or even most. It's spring. Rain comes and goes. But, the weather should be becoming pretty nice around now here in New York. Rain ruins your plans a little if you open a box of brand new rollerblades and can't try them out because water is falling from the sky. Or, if your best friend who lives across the street comes over and wants to play with you outside after school. Or, if you want to take a bike ride to your friend's house three blocks away, or walk up the street to the nearby school and play on the swings. Or, if you just want a nice, warm, sunny day for once.

So, every year, I planned for rain. Jackets, hats, umbrellas, indoor parties. I'd have a good time with my family and friends inside the skating rink or at home with cake, longing for, just once, a sunny day.

Well, my friends, this story finally has a happy ending. Today is May 2, 2012, and it isn't raining. But, not for the first time. This trend actually began two years ago in 2010. Right after I met Danny. Yep, ever since then, even before we started dating, my birthday has had clear, sunny skies. Not a drop of precipitation.

Coincidence? Yeah, probably. But, I'm not complaining. And while today there is constant cloud cover and a 30% chance of rain this afternoon, if the clouds decide they are too bloated with water weight, maybe this time, it won't be so horrendous.


20 comments:

  1. Ooooh. Snuggling under a blanket, listening to the rain falling outside, eating popcorn, watching an old film on TCM. Sounds like the perfect birthday! (Just preparing you in case it rains next year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually did rain slightly. But, I didn't mind so much. I had a nice night with family, boyfriend, and Carvel ice cream cake. Watched the Ranger game (they won after triple overtime -- yay!). Then Danny and I left for Myrtle Beach the next morning and had a great vacation.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like Danny is your ray of sunshine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Danny made the rain go away! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! I love rain, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a rain free birthday. We are terribly in need of rain here -- but I still would not wish for it, if it we're my special. Good for you and Danny must be special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Glad the sun stayed out for your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally live that your boyfriend drove the rein away. Of COURSE it is not a coincidence !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty cool story. So, until you find love you cause rain? Kind of like a Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danny sounds pretty powerful making your rain disappear. Sounds like you got a great guy there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for a sunshine-y birthday! It's amazing what love can accomplish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's funny, Kerry! Must have been fun being a psychic all those years!

    Thanks for linking this up with the TALU...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little fun being psychic, if only for one day a year! Especially when I got to prove my mother wrong consistently. ;-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. you're not alone! I've noticed it seems to always rain on my husband's birthday, May 3rd, and we're in upstate NY! so glad the sun has come out :)

    TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's up with that? Hopefully your hubby will have a rain-free birthday one of these years! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  13. That is strange to have such a long run of rainy b-days! I thought it was supposed to be APRIL showers ... ;) [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I thought so too! What BS, right? ;-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog