Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Write on Wednesday: I Thought I Saw...

I thought I saw...

you the other day. Your dark curly hair that you always hated, straightened to perfection. Your magnificently sparkling green eyes, the ones that always made me jealous of your beauty.

You were wearing jeans with a slight flare, held up by your studded belt, with a bright pink long-sleeved tee... one of your favorite colors.

My heart nearly stopped mid-beat. It couldn't possibly be you, and yet, the resemblance was uncanny. Her appearance, her style, her posture, even her mannerisms all reminded me of you. She was with her friends, talking and laughing, just as you loved to do.

"Hey, are you okay?" His voice interrupted my daydreaming, noticing the watery redness in my unwavering stare. The question snapped me back to reality and I blinked, and you were gone.





Write On Wednesdays


Write On Wednesdays Exercise 20 Write the words " I thought I saw" at the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Don't take you pen off the page (or fingers off the keyboard). Stop only when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. Write beyond 5 minutes if you like, you can link it up as an extra post.

Hop on over to inkpaperpen to read others and post your own!

Also submitted for lovelinks #28!

20 comments:

  1. Kerry, I really love how this ended up being a dream. Who is this about? I always enjoy reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan, I appreciate that. This was inspired by a friend of mine who was hit and killed by a drunk and high driver. I sometimes see people who look like her at first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I love the pace of this piece.

    I had a friend at highschool with curly hair - I often wonder what happened to her and have moments like this.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those moments when you know it can't really be but just for a split second you think, maybe it could ...

    That was lovely Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally loved reading this piece, and I think everyone knows how it feels to almost see someone they love. I also liked the pace, and I thought the description was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry, my heart goes out to you. Reading your piece this week made me tear up. Our pieces seem to follow a similar line. Yours is so very beautiful and filled with love. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the lovely comments. She is what my brain instantly thought of with this prompt. And this does happen every so often; I still notice people who look like her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These prompts work well for you. I was right there in the story.

    Thanks for linking at lovelinks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice piece of writing Kerry...I enjoyed each word...it could have gone on and on...Keep writing....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Kerry, I'm so sorry to hear that this was your friend. (or in tribute to her.) Beautiful piece. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. Those moments when you think - just for a second -it could be that person... captured really well here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It only takes the smallest similarity to open up a swathe of memories, doesn't it? I often see my friend in a stranger's smile.

    You captured that heart-stopping moment really well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everyone. I appreciate your kind words. I didn't even need to edit anything on this piece because it flowed so easily from emotion and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has happened to me before too but you wrote it way better than I could have!
    visiting from lovelinks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That was awesome!! You are such a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You captured the longing to see someone you miss very well in this. Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice. Lots of great description.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how descriptive this was of the things we notice about other people, and what those things say about us. I just read your comment above about the inspiration behind this story. I didn't feel a sense of sadness when I read it, but now I do. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone. It happened over six years ago, but of course I still always miss her. I'm glad that you all feel I did well with this piece about her, as it came straight from emotion. Thank you for all the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made good use of the prompt. A sad heartfelt piece. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog