Monday, July 2, 2012

Freeky Friday: Oy, with the Poodles Already!



Freeky Friday


Who is your pop culture alter-ego?

This question was so hard to answer!

My first response was Rory Gilmore


I'm slightly obsessed with Gilmore Girls. I do, in fact, have the entire series on DVD. I love the quick-witted clever writing, the personalities, even the wardrobes. Stars Hollow was always a town in which I wish I lived, where I could get to know the quirky people and the crazy traditions. Rory Gilmore was my first response, and my only, as she's the only character I can think of who I actually relate to.

Rory loves reading. 

Her room is filled with books. On shelves, inside drawers, under her bed. I love reading. My room is filled with books. On my tiny shelf, inside my trunk, under my TV and behind my DVDs, and in my closet. I'll read anything I can get my hands on.

Rory loves junk food. 
Rory and her mom, Lorelai, anxiously waiting for her Dean to arrive to begin his and Rory's "first date."
Cheese puffs, ice cream, chips, Twizzlers, marshmallows, s'mores, pizza. I also love junk food, ice cream being my weakness. Of course, I'm keeping myself healthy and I don't eat these things nearly as much as I used to. The only difference between us here is that Rory has the fastest metabolism I've ever seen and can stay stick-thin, while if I ever ate anywhere near close to what she eats, I'd blow up Veruca Salt style. 

Rory has an absent father, and is very close to her mother. Her father was never very involved with her life, so her mother raised her alone, working extremely hard with no outside help. My mother raised my brother and I alone, with virtually no help from anyone else, while my father might as well have been a ghost.

However, aside from those things, plus a love of music and movies, and a tendency to stick with the very small group of tight friends rather than a large crowd of acquaintances, that is where our similarities end. Nothing truly fundamental links us. Rory is super smart, an amazing writer, a Yale graduate, and by the end of the series, found a decent job not long after completion of school. She also had some pretty great boyfriends, which, up until now, I was lacking bigtime in that department. She has no athletic ability, and she has no natural-born love for animals or a desire to be a pet-owner, while I could not imagine my life without my dogs.

So is Rory Gilmore really my pop culture alter-ego? Who really fills that role? What do you think?

Don't forget to check out Concrete Jane to see how you can participate each week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog