Monday, September 24, 2012

What's in a Name?

That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet...

My parents deliberated over what to call me for months. Though they didn't know I was a girl until I was born, they both had their favorite names picked out for both a boy and a girl. We'll skip the boys, since clearly that is irrelevant. Though, my father's stupid self wanted to name my older brother Fresh.

My mother liked the names Chloe, Dana, and Becky or Rebecca for me, and my father refused anything that didn't sound Irish enough. They couldn't really agree on anything.

They flipped through baby books for weeks, asking each other's opinions on names they liked, still not reaching a consensus. Then, finally, one day the debate was over. My mom saw the name Kerry in a book and thought it sounded nice. I don't think my dad wanted to admit it, but he liked it. Plus, it's completely Irish -- there is even an entire county in Ireland named Kerry -- so of course he accepted.

Per all the times I googled and searched for the meaning of my name, only two similar things came up. Kerry means "dark-haired girl" or "dark-haired princess." Well, I am a girl, and I do have dark hair. I don't know about that "princess" business, though.

When I was younger I would complain about my name and say that I wish it was different. I used to like the name Cindy, but now my tastes have changed. I don't think mine is so bad anymore. It's not terribly common, and any other people with the same name usually spell it with an i at the end instead.

Now if only I could get rid of my dad's last name...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog