Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Write on Wednesdays: The Fight

Write On Wednesdays


Head over to InkPaperPen to see the full prompt for this week. Today is about a personal story, 100% truthful, but not 100% of the truth. The keywords: The Fight.

When I started this blog, I promised myself I would always be honest with everything I wrote. And that has stuck. Everything I have written thus far has been purely genuine in its content. That isn't difficult for me. The difficult part is choosing the content. A few different things popped into my head when reading this week's prompt: My house fire at age 15, struggling through bad relationships and even worse break-ups, ended friendships, the fight through graduate school to get out of retail. But I decided to focus on something meaningful to me at the present, rather than the past. This is my fight.

I had always been a confident person, for as long as I can remember. I never had a problem with worrying what others may think, or checking the mirror every so often to make sure every hair was in place and every wrinkle was smoothed out. That's never been me, and I had always taken pride in that fact. I'm not saying that I never thought my appearance was unattractive, but even when I did, I usually forgot about it and moved on with my day. Besides, it's much too aggravating and time-consuming to be constantly worrying about my looks, my appearance, fiddling with make-up and the perfect outfit for the day. I've always worn what I felt like wearing, which was usually jeans and tank, ran a brush through my hair, hardly ever wore make-up, and ran out the door. And that's how I liked it.

But lately... I haven't been myself. I've gained some weight in the past year or so, and it's done a number on my self-confidence. I've never been stick-thin, but I've never been tremendously overweight, either. I've always just had pretty average weight; right in the middle. A little extra here and there, but I was happy with it, and myself. Now... that's somehow changed. Some of my clothes don't fit the same, and it makes me upset. If I put on a pair of jeans and they are too tight, I immediately call myself "fat" and rip them off, searching for something looser to wear. If a tank top or a T-shirt no longer feels right, I am immediately disgusted with myself and try to find something else that will cover up the spare tire around my waist or the muffin top peeking out over my pants. And I hate it. I hate that I feel this way about myself. Then, I become angry with myself that I do feel this way, because I never used to, and this was never me. My current fight is with myself.

That's why I started the Insanity program by Beachbody. I wanted to get back into shape, lose a little weight and a few inches, and feel confident about myself again. I wanted my self-esteem back. I wanted my cardio to improve, I wanted to feel stronger, and I wanted my clothes to fit better. I wanted to feel like myself again.

I've also been drinking Shakeology, The Healthiest Meal of the Day, and the tastiest! Replacing one meal a day, Shakeology is the healthiest and best-tasting shake you can find. After only a week, I felt improvements in my body. It feels healthier, and has even helped with my digestion. After a month of drinking it every day, my body feels amazing. I wish I could drink it for every meal! That's how excellent it is. You can't find quality like this anywhere else.

Now that my first round with Insanity is coming to a close, I feel better. My cardio has improved, and my numbers on the "Fit Test" have skyrocketed. This is my last week, and I can't wait to see the real end results. Next on my list is P90X!

Now that I feel better, I want to help others feel better and gain their confidence back as well. And that's why I became a Beachbody Coach; so I can help others achieve their health and fitness goals, too. I believe in this company and their products because I've used them, and they work. I want to end the craze of people across the country feeling the way I felt, no matter what the number on the scale reads back. I want to end the fad of people insulting themselves, putting themselves down, and calling themselves derogatory names because they think they are too fat just because their clothes don't fit the same, or they don't look like the models blazoned on every advertisement and flashed on mass broadcast across every TV screen. I want to End The Trend of obesity in this country. That's my new fight. And I love every minute of it.

13 comments:

  1. congratulations :) I'm happy you got your weight back and are so determined to help others. this is a huge post! lol :) loved it but I was wondering where did you five minutes went. thanks for your lovely comment in 'wonderland' :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The prompt said to repeat last week of ignoring the five-minute rule. This one needed much more thought. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kerry and well done on your efforts. It was such an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Kerry. I loved the first half of the post, and found it really fascinating that you went from being quite confident in your self, to losing that confidence. The second half did feel less like a writing exercise, (and more like advertising actually), but you are obviously very passionate about it.
    xx Sannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sannah - the first half felt more genuine. But I'm glad you found something you enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sannah and asampler for your feedback. It does sound that way, though I didn't originally intend for that when I wrote it. That's just how it came out because that's how I started feeling better about myself and I'm happy to share with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your piece about your struggle and the way you found the courage to overcome it. I understand about losing self confidence -- I have been in that boat many times.
    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You give me hope. Trying to shed a few pounds myself (the middle age/lazy bone spread is setting in on me). Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Stephanie and K.D.! I hated the way I felt about myself and I knew I had to do something to change it. I now love helping others transform their lives as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How inspiring! You've overcome this battle with bravery and purpose. It's great to find something you love so much along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an interesting read, as someone who never had a lot of self-esteem (and am finally getting some as I get older), I've never thought of what it would be like to have it and lose it! I'm glad you found it again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must shake your world, to have self esteem but then lose it. I can relate with what you describe, it is tough feeling this way about yourself. Good on you for fighting!

    I found the first part of your post most interesting, when you described the process you went through to "pick" the fight you would write about. I did a very similar thing and also ended up picking a fight within myself to write about.

    Thanks for sharing

    x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog