Monday, September 19, 2011

The Perfect-ness of Imperfection

Two days ago, on Saturday, my lovely Daniel had a surprise up his sleeve and took me out for the night.


However, the poor boy, bless his heart, cannot hide anything. Ever. He either slips somehow, or when asked a question remotely related, he will smile and simply cannot lie or hide it.


For example, we were at a local elementary school, practicing for softball on Saturday, and when we were finishing up I casually asked him, "So what are we doing tonight?" After a couple of roundabout odd answers, he blurted out that he was planning on surprising me and taking me out, but hadn't thought of what to do yet, and was going to ask me what I wanted. I of course promptly explained to the silly man that if he is going to surprise his amazing and wonderful girlfriend, he is not supposed to ask her opinion on what to do or where to go; he is simply supposed to plan it himself and just do it. I then informed him that I will not be involved in the deicision-making. It was quite the learning experience.


After showering, I arrived at his house only to be whisked away into his silver Nissan Altima and driven to an undisclosed restaurant. I knew we were eating because we were both starving. He actually did trick me when he told me that he missed a turn that led to one of my favorite restaurants, Carrabba's Italian Grill. Once we approached the area of the real dining location, I knew what it was, and I became quite excited. J&R's Steakhouse! Yes! I'd never been, and now, finally, I would taste their juicy, marinated steaks of deliciousness. And that I did. And I added a tasty Kahlua Mudslide to my menu of deliciousness. And that it was.


Upon leaving the restaurant and driving in the direction toward home, Danny made a random right turn off the highway. When I asked where we were going, he only grinned at me and wouldn't say. After pulling into the movie theater parking lot, I asked if we were seeing a movie, and he quickly replied, "Yep!" I should have known something was up, but he actually tricked me again, because as we walked up to the theater, he pulled me to the left toward the strip of stores in the next parking lot. I voiced that I didn't even know what was on that side as I never go there, and he was very good with not slipping and ruining his surprise. Unfortunately, however, he was saddened and his surprise was thwarted as he realized that this place of business no longer existed at this location. As I am quite addicted to ice cream, he confessed his plans to take me to ColdStone because he knew I loved it. I told him not to worry, as it is the thought that counts, and a very nice thought it was.


Though his second plan failed, and he was upset because Google Maps lied to him and told him it still existed, it was still a nice night. We had a good dinner, great conversation, amazing Mudslides, and following the small ice cream mishap, we went to Borders' closing sale to see if there was anything left on their last day of business (so sad).


While some people must have every date planned perfectly and itinerized (yes, I just made that up) to the last minute, I don't need that.  I am grateful to have someone with whom I can still have fun, even with bumps in the road, or, in this case, missing ice cream shops. I'd rather have a haphazardly effective but enjoyable date rather than a perfectly planned but boring rendezvous. And had Danny organized and orchestrated a flawless, romantic night out on the town that was smooth and went off without a hitch, so be it. I'd take either one, because of the person I'm spending it with, not because of the activities. I'm happy just to be with him, enjoying his company and our time together. I wouldn't have it any other way.

10 comments:

  1. HAHA This blog has to be one of my favorite posts you wrote lol. I was really looking forward to that ice cream too. I haven't had Coldstones in a very long time. I'm glad that we both had fun anyway and finally tried the steak at J&R's Steakhouse. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely description of your evening. You sound like a great couple!
    And thanks for commenting on our blog. I'll be coming back to this one, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeanne! We are, in fact, an amazing couple. ;-) Haha. Thanks for checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great attitude. Sounds like you had a nice time. (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi. It's no fun being perfect anyway. ;-) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. That was sooooo sweet. I don't like stuff all itererized (your word is a keeper) either. It stresses me out to make what to do after that plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenya! Itinerized is a fantastic word, isn't it? Even when we go on vacations, we don't plan everything out to the last detail. We'd rather just relax and do what we feel like doing. We have certain things in mind that we want to do or see, but no specific time frame to do them all in. Thanks for reading. =)

      Delete
  6. Just don't ever let him get sucked into a game of poker or he'll be in big trouble. ;)

    I was all excited when I read Carrabba's, because I was immediately tasting their Sangria in my mind, but then you took a turn on me and went for steaks. I'm cool with that though since we got a Kahlua Mudslide out of the deal. ;)
    [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Actually, he's pretty good at poker and blackjack for some reason. I don't know why he can bluff then, but he can't lie any other time.

      Mmmm, sangria! I was pretty excited when I thought it was Carrabba's, too! But, I also love steak, so it was in no way a disappointment. Especially with mudslides involved! =) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, steak, Mudslide, and Coldstone! Actually, Carrabba's is kind of "our place" where we had our first date and go to celebrate special occasions. It's great to have a date night! TALU

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog