Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fate

After I lost my beautiful boy Floppy, in June, I was absolutely devastated. I cried and cried and just when I was sure my tear ducts were all dried up and couldn't possibly produce any additional water, I cried some more. I felt like I lost a sibling or other close family member. I still feel the pain, I still miss him every single day, and I feel I may never love another dog like I loved him.

Poor Nikki was so sad. She sulked. She laid around the house, hid behind the couch or under my bed all day, and wouldn't even eat her favorite treats. She knew he was gone, and she didn't like it. She missed her buddy, her playmate.

We weren't planning on getting another dog any time soon. None of us were ready. We missed Floppy, and it was too much to handle. But, poor Nikki. We felt so badly for her, so we browsed around pet sites, not particularly expecting to find any dog we liked enough to take home. We felt we would be replacing Floppy, and no one could do that.

But, then...

Then, we saw this guy.


And oh, my goodness... how could we resist?

If you remember the other pictures (click on the link above at the beginning of the post), he looks like a mix of all three of our previous dogs in so many ways. His face, his fur type, his coloring (except the speckled feet). Even when we brought him home, he displayed very similar characteristics and personality traits of the other three as well.

When trying to think of a name, we wanted something fitting for him. We thought of and ruled out traditional names like Max and Jack. We liked the name Midas, but he's too sweet and gentle for that name. We looked through pet name books and online, but we couldn't agree. When one of us would like something, the others would hate it, or vice versa.

If you look at his picture, you'll see it. We noticed that he sort of looks like he's wearing black eyeliner, and that it extends out to the side of his head and looks Egyptian. So we got the idea to look up Egyptian names. Traditional names didn't work, so I searched for Egyptian gods instead. Finally... I found it.

There was one named Shai. He was the Egyptian god and concept of fate. Fate?! Was it not fate that we found him after we lost Floppy? Was it not fate that he had the looks and the personality mix of our other three dogs before him combined? Unbelievable. It was perfect. And so, there it was, clear as day. Shai.

Now, I'm not sure I even believe in the actual concept of fate. You know, life occurrences are meant to happen, everything happens for a reason, there's a greater power controlling how the world turns... I always thought of it as a cop-out for some people not to take responsibility for their own actions. Do certain decisions lead to certain situations occurring? Absolutely. But the belief that everything is pre-planned out, and our path is already laid out for us and we don't get to decide? Not a fan.

But, this... I don't know. The stars aligned for this one.

We loved Shai immediately. He is so cute, and so gentle and loving. He wants nothing more than to please us and be loved. He hates being yelled at, so he usually learns quickly -- unless he sees a bunny in the yard, then forget it, his chasing instincts take over.

He cannot replace Floppy. And he's not the same dog, we know. However... he can be part of a new family. And we will love him unconditionally just the same.

Oh, and Nikki? She's doing much better. She is much happier, and really back to her old, weird self.

Here is a quick video of Nikki and Shai playing when they first met:


11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kerry, this was such a heartwarming post. So glad you found him. Looks like he belongs witb you, ya know?
    Thanks so much for linking up with the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thank you so much! I think he does belong with us. Neither of us could resist. =) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I am right there with you. Had to put my Gerts down last April, then saw Catie in an ad in the newspaper. My life isn't complete without my hairy, mangey mutts. Love the post and the dogs! I know what you mean about fate, too. I was looking at all sorts of Cockers after Gertie but none of them really grabbed me, but Catie just got me. Told mom that Gertie sent me that ad, she knew I needed Catie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ... popping in for the first time via the #TALU.

    That's so cool the way it all came together. Reminds me of when I was a kid and lost a dog. After some time went by, my Mom decided it was time we get another and took me to the mall (I know, puppy mills) to pick one out. It was kind of a long funny story, so to cut to the chase, we came home with a dog, and the next time my sister came home from college with her boyfriend (now hubby), I was very excited to introduce them. Come to find out, they all knew each other already!! When they were dating, they would go wander around the mall and play with her at the pet store! She - the dog, not my sister ;) - would get so excited whenever she saw him, she would pee everywhere, so we had to make sure she was outside when he came over LOL.

    The video cracked me up - it was like the dog version of "I've got your nose." All that belly baring and throat grabbing for show while the tails are going a mile a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, what a cute new dog! I totally understand the pain of losing a beloved animal and how hard it is to love another again. So glad you were able to open your heart to this dog. Visiting from TALU :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how sweet. I'm sorry for the pain of losing your loved pet, but what a nice thing to do for the one left alone. He is adorable and I love the name! (TALU)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from TALU. What a sweetie you found there! Sorry to hear about the loss of your little guy, and glad you were able to give Shai a home :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that name! Both of my kids have names that have special meanings too! My cat's name means "servant of God"... hmmm... probably not :) Thanks for the TALU visit! New follower! Would love a return follow! (I know that number doesn't mean anything... but still)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there, first of all I wanna thank you too for dropping me some warm thoughts. ;-).. Oh my god, oh my god! Shai is just soo adorable and the name that you picked I think is just so perfect! I can see his funny and gentle side of a dog.. Yes, pets also create a very special place in our hearts that makes it so difficult to accept when they are gone. And I believe they will always leave a mark and a beautiful memory like what we feel for the people we love when they are gone. its very special.! cheers to Shai! ;-) visiting from TALU

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my heart! There is nothing quite like losing a pet. I've lost two pups in my life and my heart still aches for them. But losing one doesn't mean that you don't have room in your heart for another! I'm sure Floppy would be very happy to see Nikki having fun again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog