Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Immune System Rocks!

Back at Mama Kat's Weekly Writing Prompts! I know, I know, it's been forever. But I'm back this week! Out of the 5 possible prompts, I chose number three:

The last time you were sick...

Oh, boy, let's hope I can remember that far back (yes, it's really been that long).

Before I dive in, I think I should ask your opinion. Do you consider getting a cold as being sick? I think most people do, but I do not. The reason for that is when I get a cold, they usually last a day or two and then they're gone, while everyone else I know has them for weeks. Additionally, my symptoms aren't even that terrible. I'll only have one, or a couple. A sore throat and a slightly stuffy nose. A mild headache caused by a cough. A runny nose. Then, after a day or two, they disappear, so I feel like I was never really sick at all.

Therefore, this post won't be about a cold I've had for the last few weeks that won't go away.

Nor will it be about getting hit with the flu, because it is a state of emergency because of the ridiculous number of people who actually have had it or currently have it. I've still never, and I've also never gotten the shot that I can recall.

Nor will it be about catching mono from my boyfriend two years ago when he had it, because I still saw him all the time, took care of him, and still kissed him.

My immune system rocks.

However, there was this one time...

I was nine years old, and in the 4th grade. I don't know how I became ill, but I did, and it was terrible.

My body somehow contracted Bronchitis. It was either a severe case, or I also had something else simultaneously, because I don't think the symptoms I had were all common with Bronchitis. I don't remember everything, but I do remember not being able to eat, throwing up, and being so weak that I couldn't even get myself to the bathroom on my own. My mom literally carried me.

I spent that week in my mom's bed, sleeping, reading, sleeping, and paging my mom if I needed something. Yep, those were the days of the pager, and she wanted me to page her so I didn't have to yell down the stairs or get up myself when I couldn't even stand on my own two feet.

I think I missed four days of school. And then it was over.

That was 15 years ago. I haven't been sick like that since. Again, I don't really consider having a cold to be sick, since they only last a few days for me, sometimes even just one.

When was the last time you were sick? What was it? How bad was it? Do you consider having a cold being sick? 

4 comments:

  1. I don't consider a cold being sick at all... not when I've been plagued with chronic bronchitis/pneumonia since I was 18 years old. Whats worse is I have Fibromyalgia and that goes hand in hand with it. The last time I was really, really sick was 5 years ago and I was flat on my back for 4 weeks! I hate being sick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, no fun! Fibromyalgia is really a hidden condition that most people don't understand. I hope better days are ahead for you. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I hate being sick. I had a flu shot in October and luckily I haven't had anything horrible yet. I have had 2 colds so far, but nothing severe.
    So far I have been luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your luck continues, Kym! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love comments. They warm my soul with bonfires and snuggly blankets and hot chocolate and other soul-warming existences. Thanks for heatin' mine up!

Search This Blog